Are you having a good day today?
Take a moment to think about that. If the answer is no, consider why your day is not satisfying. All too often, work is the source for stress and negativity in our days. At SIYLI, we believe that your work should be a source of joy in your life.
We also know that when you’re happier at work you’re more productive. So it makes sense to enjoy your work, you and the company will benefit from it.
This week, we offer you six tips for making your workday a breeze.
1. Breathe. This might seem obvious, because you’re hopefully breathing as you read this, but focusing on your breath is an essential way to make yourself calm and centered. When you feel stressed at work, take a moment to do your mindful minute exercises. Focus on your breath and being present to restore your calm even during challenging times.
2. Listen. In many work environments, there can be pressure to contribute immediately (ie: responding to your boss’ email this second you receive it). Instead of rushing your responses, pause. Take a moment to consider what a person is really asking and how you can best answer their needs. While a fast response may get you noticed sooner, a considered response will make your boss and colleagues feel you are working with them to achieve the goal.
3. Empathize. Take time to try to understand what your colleagues want and what they are feeling. This doesn’t mean that you have to agree with everything they are saying. By understanding what they want and why, it will be easier for you to open up a productive discussion and make them understand and respect your wants and needs.
4. Identify. Take the time to understand what’s going on if you’re not happy.It’s easy to feel the emotion (being upset), but it’s productive to look at the cause (and find a solution). Use our self-awareness exercises to delve into what makes you feel negative emotions at work. Is there friction with a co-worker? Do you feel unappreciated? Do you think you should have more responsibility? Once you’ve identified what’s holding you back, it’s time to take on that office obstacle.
5. Do Less. No, that doesn’t mean pull up Facebook and relax the rest of the day. Doing less means that instead of multi-tasking and dividing your attention between several different projects, you concentrate on doing one task at a time. So instead of checking your email as you complete the budget report and answering calls, take the time to do one task at a time. You’ll be surprised by how much time you will save when you’re truly focused on the task at hand.
SIYLI believes that every job can be a fulfilling job. With a few mindful habits, we believe that you can enjoy going to work as much as we do.
SIYLI Suggestion: Spend the week trying one of these tips. How did your week change?